The Lionel Lines Hillside Observation Car No. 2401 was the first of the 2400 Series cars that were produced. Available in 1948 and 1949, this car was based on the standard Pullman prototype of the time.
This car has a GREEN painted body with YELLOW window trim and stripes, and WHITE heat-stamped lettering. All of the 2400 Series passenger cars are lighted by two lamps that are held in place by metal brackets that are also used to hold the roof to the body. There are no people silhouettes on the interior window inserts. It came with Type IV die-cast four-wheel passenger trucks equipped with electronic coil couplers. There are no variations.