The Operating Cattle Car No. 3656 would unload the cattle into the platform from which they could then be loaded again into the car. Operated with the use of a sliding shoes that were on the trucks of the car when they contacted the electrical pickups in the platform base.
Early cars came with staple-end trucks and electronic coil couplers, while later variations had bar-end trucks with magnetic couplers. The first issue of the platform in 1949 has a painted YELLOW fixed platform and a chain that went across the top of the ramp. Later issues would have a lift out platform and no chain.
This accessory came with nine BLACK cattle in a separate box that is illustrated below. The platform, No. 3656-150, was available for separate sale. Except for Variation A, there is WHITE lettering on the car. The car and metal side doors are painted ORANGE. After 1950 the car doors would be made out of plastic.